Non-invasively aids in the detection, staging, and monitoring of the severity of liver fibrosis for hepatitis C virus (HCV) patients.
PROMETHEUS® FIBROSpect® HCV
For hepatitis C (HCV) patients, we offer the PROMETHEUS FIBROSpect HCV test, which is a laboratory-developed test that aids in in the detection, staging, and monitoring of liver fibrosis. The simple blood test is noninvasive and provides a quantitative fibrosis score to help physicians risk stratify and monitor patients
- Differentiates between F0-F1 and F2-F4 liver fibrosis9
- Validated with samples from 348 biopsy-confirmed HCV patients9
Staging of Liver Fibrosis in HCV Patients is Critical
American Association for Study of Liver Disease (AASLD) and Infectious Disease Society of America (IDSA) 2017 guidelines highlight the benefits of initiating therapy in HCV patients with lower-stage liver fibrosis10:
- “Initiating therapy in patients with lower-stage fibrosis augments the benefits of SVR [sustained virologic response]”
- “Treatment delay may decrease the benefit of SVR”
- National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases Web site. Definition & facts of NAFLD & NASH. https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/liver-disease/nafld-nash/definition-facts. Accessed August 7, 2017
- Canbay A, Sowa JP, Syn WK, Treckman J. NASH cirrhosis – the new burden in liver transplantation: how should it be managed? Visc Med. 2016;32(4):234-238.
- Angulo P, Kleiner DE, Dam-Larsen S, et al. Liver fibrosis, but no other histologic features, is associated with long-term outcomes of patients with nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. Gastroenterology. 2015;149(2):389-397.
- Ekstedt M, Hagström H, Nasr P, et al. Fibrosis stage is the strongest predictor for disease-specific mortality in NAFLD after up to 33 years of follow-up. Hepatology. 2015;61(5):1547-1554.
- Jayakumar S, Harrison SA, Loomba R. Noninvasive markers of fibrosis and inflammation in nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. Curr Hepatol Rep. 2016;15(2):86-95.
- Boeker KH, Haberkorn CI, Michels D, Flemming P, Manns MP, Lichtinghagen R. Diagnostic potential of circulating TIMP-1 and MMP-2 as markers of liver fibrosis in patients with chronic hepatitis C. Clin Chim Acta. 2002;316(1-2):71-81.
- Halfon P, Bourlière M, Pénaranda G, et al. Accuracy of hyaluronic acid level for predicting liver fibrosis stages in patients with hepatitis C virus. Comp Hepatol. 2005;4:6.
- Ho AS, Cheng CC, Lee SC, et al. Novel biomarkers predict liver fibrosis in hepatitis C patients: alpha 2 macroglobulin, vitamin D binding protein and apolipoprotein AI. J Biomed Sci. 2010;17(58):1-7.
- Data on file. Prometheus Laboratories Inc.
- When and in whom to initiate HCV therapy. American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases and the Infectious Diseases Society of America Web site. http://www.hcvguidelines.org/evaluate/when-whom. Last updated July 6, 2016. Accessed July 24, 2017.
The FibroSPECT tests are laboratory-developed tests that were developed and validated under Federal CLIA laboratory guidelines, and are performed exclusively by Prometheus Laboratories Inc.
- These tests have not been cleared or approved by the US FDA. The tests are used for clinical purposes and should not be regarded as investigational or for research. Prometheus Laboratories is certified under the Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments (CLIA) as qualified to perform high-complexity clinical laboratory testing and is accredited by the College of American Pathologists (CAP).
- This material is provided for general information purposes only as an educational service for healthcare physicians and their patients. It is not intended as a substitute for medical advice and/or consultation with a physician.